Activate your 30 day free trial to unlock unlimited reading.
Presentation on computer viruses
You are reading a preview.
Activate your 30 day free trial to continue reading.
Check these out next
Download to read offline
More Related Content
Slideshows for you (20).
Viewers also liked (12)
Similar to Presentation on computer viruses (20)
More from Nitish Xavier Tirkey (13)
Recently uploaded (20)
- 1. A Presentation On Computer Viruses Name:- Nitish Xavier Tirkey F.Y.BCA Date:- 4th October, 2010
- 2. Flow of presentation • Introduction • Symptoms • How does it spread • Types of Computer Viruses • Prevention and Cure • Antivirus Software • Conclusion
- 3. Introduction • Computer viruses are a type of software program that, like a biological virus, reproduces and spreads itself • Some virus may display only a message on the screen, others may slow down the Pc • They can also erase files or even format your floppy or hard disk and crash the system
- 4. Symptoms • Letters looks like they are falling to the bottom of the screen. • The computer system becomes slow. • The size of available free memory reduces. • The hard disk runs out of space. • The computer does not boot.
- 5. How does it spread • Computer viruses spread by attaching themselves to other computer program files • When you exchange a file or pen drive with a virus, the virus spreads from one computer to the another • Viruses also spreads when a Computer Engineer comes to repair your system and puts his/her diagnostics disks in your PC
- 6. Types of computer viruses • Boot viruses:- The boot virus copies the virus code in the boot sector • Polymorphic viruses:- They are coded in such a way that they infect a system and change their signature • Macro viruses:- Macros are blocks of code written to automate frequently performed tasks and embedded in a program file • Worms:- Worms are program that replicate and spread to other system • Trojans:- A Trojan is a program file that claims to do something but it actually does something that is not required
- 7. Preservation and cure • Install an Antivirus software • Regularly update the program • Open email attachment files only if you are expecting the attached files, or the sender is known and has confirmed sending the file • Try to avoid downloading and installing software from the Internet • Install only registered copies of software on the system
- 8. Antivirus Software • Norton Anti-Virus • MaCfee • Avast • Quick Heal • Panda
- 9. Conclusion • For better and safe computation anti-virus software should be installed and be helpfull for global network system freely.
- 10. Thank You
Public clipboards featuring this slide, select another clipboard.
Looks like you’ve clipped this slide to already.
You just clipped your first slide!
Create a clipboard
Get slideshare without ads, special offer to slideshare readers, just for you: free 60-day trial to the world’s largest digital library..
The SlideShare family just got bigger. Enjoy access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, and more from Scribd.
You have now unlocked unlimited access to 20M+ documents!
Learn faster and smarter from top experts
Download to take your learnings offline and on the go
Instant access to millions of ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, podcasts and more.
Read and listen offline with any device.
Free access to premium services like Tuneln, Mubi and more.
Help us keep SlideShare free
It appears that you have an ad-blocker running. By whitelisting SlideShare on your ad-blocker, you are supporting our community of content creators.
- My presentations
Auth with social network:
We think you have liked this presentation. If you wish to download it, please recommend it to your friends in any social system. Share buttons are a little bit lower. Thank you!
Presentation is loading. Please wait.
Published by Jeffery Franklin Modified over 7 years ago
Presentation on theme: "Computer Viruses."— Presentation transcript:
Providing protection from potential security threats that exist for any internet-connected computer is termed e- security. It is important to be able to.
Securing Your Computer 1,2,3 The Basics Just the facts…….. In 2003, Symantec documented 2,636 new computer vulnerabilities, an average of seven per.
Thank you to IT Training at Indiana University Computer Malware.
UNIT 6 DIGITAL LITERACY STUDY S3 OBJ 1 VIRUSES & DESTRUCTIVE PROGRAMS.
Online Safety. Introduction The Internet is a very public place Need to be cautious Minimize your personal risk while online Exposure to: viruses, worms,
What are computer viruses and its types? Computer Viruses are malicious software programs that damage computer program entering into the computer without.
Computer viruses Hardware theft Software Theft Unauthorized access by hackers Information Theft Computer Crimes.
Viruses,Hacking and Backups By Grace Mackay 8K Viruses Hacking and Hackers Backups.
Unit 18 Data Security 1.
What are Trojan horses? A Trojan horse is full of as much trickery as the mythological Trojan horse it was named after. The Trojan horse, at first glance.
Security, Privacy, and Ethics Online Computer Crimes.
Malicious Attacks. Introduction Commonly referred to as: malicious software/ “malware”, computer viruses Designed to enter computers without the owner’s.
What Are Malicious Attacks? Malicious Attacks are any intentional attempts that can compromise the state of your computer. Including but not limited to:
INTERNET THREATS AND HOW TO PROTECT YOUR COMPUTER -BRIAN ARENDT.
Computer Viruses By Patsy Speer What is a Virus? Malicious programs that cause damage to your computer, files and information They slow down the internet.
Viruses & Destructive Programs
Internet safety Viruses A computer virus is a program or piece of code that is loaded onto your computer without your knowledge and runs against your.
R. FRANK NIMS MIDDLE SCHOOL A BRIEF INTRODUCTION TO VIRUSES.
Computer security virus, hacking and backups. Computer viruses are small software programs that are designed to spread from one computer to another.
Henric Johnson1 Chapter 10 Malicious Software Henric Johnson Blekinge Institute of Technology, Sweden
© 2023 SlidePlayer.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Existing Student Sign In
Existing institute sign in.
- Navi Mumbai
- Outside India
- Online Classes
Browse & Search
- Browse Tutors
- Delhi Tutors
- School Tuition
- After School Activities
- College Tuition
- Test Preparation
- Language Learning
- Programming and Software
- Browse Institutes
- Institutes in Delhi
- Browse Classes
- Classes in Delhi
Download Free and Get a Copy in your Email
Please enter the OTP sent to your mobile number:
- 5 Years of Experience
- Qualification: B.Tech.
- Teaches: Physics, Mathematics, Chemistry, All Subjects, Alg...
- Contact this tutor
A short ppt on Computer Viruses
- 1 COMPUTER VIRUS
- 2 WHAT VIRUS? Computer viruses are small software programs that are designed to spread from one computer to another and to interfere with computer operation. A virus might corrupt or delete data on your computer, use your e- mail program to spread itself to other computers, or even erase everything on your hard disk. Viruses are most easily spread by attachments in e-mail messages or instant messaging messages. That is why it is essential that you never open e-mail attachments unless you know who it's from and you are expecting it. Viruses can be disguised as attachments of funny images, greeting cards, or audio and video files. Viruses also spread through downloads on the Internet. They can be hidden in illicit software or other files or programs you might download. To help avoid viruses, it's essential that you keep your computer current with the latest updates and antivirus tools , stay informed about recent threats , and that you follow a few basic rules when you surf the Internet, download files, and open attachments. Once a virus is on your computer, its type or the method it used to get there is not as important as removing it and preventing further infection
- 3 HOW DO REMOVE A COMPUTER VIRUS? If your computer is infected with a virus, you'll want to remove it as quickly as possible. A fast way to check for viruses is to use an online scanner, such as the Microsoft Safety Scanner. The scanner is a free online service that helps you identify and remove viruses, clean up your hard disk, and generally improve your computer's performance. If you're not sure whether your computer has a virus, see How can I tell if my computer has a virus? to check for some telltale signs. To try a different online scanner, follow the links to other companies that provide them on the Windows Security software providers webpage. To run the Microsoft Safety Scanner 1. 2. Go to the Microsoft Safety Scanner webpage to download the scanner. Click Download Now, and then follow the instructions on the screen. If you can't connect to the Internet If you can't get to the Microsoft Safety Scanner online, try restarting your computer in safe mode with networking enabled. To restart in Safe Mode with networking enabled 1. 2. 3. Restart your computer. When you see the computer manufacturer's logo, press and hold the F8 key. On the Advanced Boot Options screen, use the arrow keys to highlight Safe Mode with Networking, and then press Enter. 4. 5. Log on to your computer with a user account that has administrator rights. Follow the steps above to run the Microsoft Safety Scanner
- 4 GENERAL INFORMATION ABOUT COMPUTER VIRUS Different Malware Types. Malware is a general name for all programs that are harmful; viruses, trojan, worms and all other similar programs. Viruses A computer virus is a program, a block of executable code, which attach itself to, overwrite or otherwise replace another program in order to reproduce itself without a knowledge of a PC user. There are a couple of different types of computer viruses: boot sector viruses, parasitic viruses, multi-partite viruses, companion viruses, link viruses and macro viruses. These classifications take into account the different ways in which the virus can infect different parts of a system. The manner in which each of these types operates has one thing in common: any virus has to be executed in order to operate. Most viruses are pretty harmless. The user might not even notice the virus for years. Sometimes viruses might cause random damage to data files and over a long period they might destroy files and disks. Even benign viruses cause damage by occupying disk space and main memory, by using up CPU processing time. There is also the time and expense wasted in detecting and removing viruses.
- 5 TROJAN A Trojan Horse is a program that does something else that the user thought it would do. It is mostly done to someone on purpose. The Trojan Horses are usually masked so that they look interesting, for example a saxophone.Wav file that interests a person collecting sound samples of instruments. A Trojan Horse differs from a destructive virus in that it doesn't reproduce. There has been a password trojan out in AOL land (the American On Line). Password30 and Pasword50 which some people thought were wav. files, but they were disguised and people did not know that they had the trojan in their systems until they tried to change their passwords. According to an administrator of AOL, the Trojan steals passwords and sends an E-mail to the hackers fake name and then the hacker has your account in his hands.
- 6 WORM A worm is a program which spreads O usually over network connections. Unlike a virus which attach itself to a host program, worms always need a host program to spread. In practice, worms are not normally associated with one person computer systems. They are mostly found in multi-user systems such as Unix environments. A classic example of a worm is Robert Morrisis Internet-worm 1988.
- 7 OTHER TYPES OF VIRUS Bacteria Bacteria, also known as rabbits, are programs that do not directly damage the system. Instead they replicate themselves until they monopolize CPU, memory or disk space. This constitutes a denial of service attack.
- 8 Bombs A bomb is actually a type of Trojan horse O that can be used to release a virus or bacteria. Bombs work by causing an unauthorized action at a specified date, time or when a particular condition occurs. There are two types of bombs; logic and time. Logic bombs are set to go off when a particular event occurs. Time bombs go off at a specified time, date or after a set amount of time elapses.
- 9 Salami Salamis cut away tiny pieces of data. O They can be particularly dangerous as the damage they do is small and can be attributed to some truncation of the system. It is possible for a salami to do a great deal of damage before it is found.
- 10 HOW VIRUSES ACTIVE? We are always afraid that viruses do something harmful to files when they get active, but not all the viruses activate. Some viruses just spread out, but when viruses activate they do very different things. Might play a part of melody or play music in the background, show a picture or animated picture, show text, format hard disk or do changes to files. As an example, in one unnamed company: over a long period of time, the files in a server were corrupted just a bit. So backup copies were taken from the corrupted files. And after they noticed that something was wrong, it was too late to get back the data from the backups. That kind of event is the worst that can happen for the uses.
- 11 CONCLUSION There are lots of viruses in the world and new viruses are coming up every day. There are new anti-virus programs and techniques developed too. It is good to be aware of viruses and other malware and it is cheaper to protect you environment from them rather then being sorry. There might be a virus in your computer if it starts acting differently. There is no reason to panic if the computer virus is found. It is good to be a little suspicious of malware when you surf in the Internet and download files. Some files that look interesting might hide a malware. A computer virus is a program that reproduces itself and its mission is to spread out. Most viruses are harmless and some viruses might cause random damage to data files. A trojan horse is not a virus because it doesn't reproduce. The trojan horses are usually masked so that they look interesting. There are trojan horses that steal passwords and formats hard disks.
Need a Tutor or Coaching Class?
Post an enquiry and get instant responses from qualified and experienced tutors.
Computer Fundamentals and C Language
Presentation on How a computer Works
PowerPoint Presentation Tips
Introduction to Operating Systems
Operating System- Main Memory
Operating System-Mass Storage Structure
Binary No. System
Upload ppts, ask a study question, query submitted., ask a question:.
A virus tries to take control of computer system it has infected at the first opportunity availible.it makes copies of itself and also try to
Introduction • Computer viruses are a type of software program that, like a biological virus. Symptoms • Letters looks like they are falling to the bottom of
Computer Viruses and Worms. Dragan Lojpur. Zhu Fang. Definition of Virus. A virus is a small piece of software that piggybacks on real programs in order to
Computer viruses are called viruses because they share some. of the traits of biological viruses. A computer virus passes from computer to computer like
Presentation on theme: "Computer Viruses."— Presentation transcript: · 1 Computer Viruses · 2 Malware Malicious software · 3 Virus A virus is a program that
Viruses, Worms, and Hackers: Protect Your Personal Computer ... you reference the above checklist, as well as follow recommended steps in this presentation.
Viruses A computer virus is a program, a block of executable code, which attach itself to, overwrite or otherwise replace another program in order to reproduce
Viruses, worms. Concealment: Trojan horses, logic bombs, rootkits. Malware for stealing information: Spyware, keyloggers, screen scrapers.
Viruses can cause computer crashes and loss of data. In order to recover or prevent virus attacks: Avoid potentially unreliable websites/emails.
hacking and hackers; firewall; viruses and antivirus software. What Is Hacking? Hacking is when someone accesses your computer or the data held on it